EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COSMETIC SURGERY – APPLICATIONS, COMPLICATIONS & SOME HELPFUL TIPS
Simply put, any cosmetic surgery is performed to improve the aesthetic appearance and quality of the target body part. Even though cosmetic surgery falls under the parent domain of plastic surgery, the goals of these to treatments isn’t quite the same. Technically, there are two types of plastic surgeries:
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery: it is performed to treat parts of the body that have been damaged or affected aesthetically or functionally to restore their natural characteristics. Damaged caused by infections, tumors, congenital disabilities, developmental abnormalities, systemic diseases, or trauma are treated with this type of surgery. This is a mandatory treatment for completely rectifying the affected parts.
Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: it is solely performed to enhance the aesthetic look or superficial parts by altering the shape, size or contour of target parts. It is a voluntary or elective surgery that is performed on healthy parts of the body
For example, treating a nose that is broken in a traumatic accident is considered plastic surgery while treating a nose that needs to be reshaped to suit its face falls under the domain of cosmetic surgery.
India has become one of the fastest-growing markets for cosmetic procedures right behind the USA, which has the highest number of cosmetic treatments every year. And out of the 28-30 different types of standard surgeries which fall under this category, Breast surgery, Chin Augmentation, Rhinoplasty, Rhytidectomy and Laser hair removal are the most commonly prefered cosmetic procedures in India and are rapidly gaining popularity too.
Procedures of Cosmetic Surgery:
Cosmetic surgeries require unique components which can be used to augment or alter a part both invasively or non-invasively. Typically, for any part, cosmetic surgery can be performed using any one or a combination of the following components:
The implants consist of biocompatible packets filled with saline water or made from silicone gel. They can be customized for any size and shape.
They are placed inside and underneath a body part to add size, weight or contour shape that suits the body.
Botulinum Toxin, abbreviated as Botox is a neuromodulator consisting pure protein, isolated from a micro-organism and is commonly used in the cosmetic industry as botulinum toxin type A.
It paralyses the muscles and nerve cells in the specific area where it is injected.
Is usually used for treating hair and skin. ‘Laser hair removal treatment’ is performed to reduce and permanently remove hair from particular regions while ‘Laser skin resurfacing is a treatment to reduce facial wrinkles and skin irregularities, such as blemishes or acne scars.
Filler and Fat Injections:
Fillers or as popularly known, Dermal Fillers, are a gel-like substance based on Hyaluronic acid (HA) which is naturally present under our skin. They can be injected under the skin to act like implants.
Our body fat usually extracted from the abdomen or thigh regions is also used as a filler in some treatments.
Prominent Cosmetic Surgical Procedures:
Most of the cosmetic treatments are minimally invasive. Let’s see some of the most prominent treatments which can prove helpful in numerous ways:
There are two standard procedures performed on both male and female breasts with respect to the necessity.
- Breast augmentation or commonly known as augmentation mammoplasty, breast enlargement or a ‘boob job’ is performed by placing implants underneath the breast tissues to improve the size and contour of the breasts.
- This procedure dramatically helps in rectifying various breast-related problems ina woman such as undergrowth, irregularity in size and shape, anxiety, lack of confidence, etc.
- Breast reduction implies to both men and women, which is performed by removing fat and glandular tissues from the chest.
- The procedure of breast reduction in women is known as ‘Gigantomastia’ and for men is known as ‘Gynecomastia’.
- It is either performed by ‘Liposuction’ which is a surgical procedure that uses a suction technique to remove fat from under the enlarged chest or by ‘Mastectomy’ where the glandular tissues responsible for producing excess fat are removed.
- Cosmetic Rhinoplasty focuses on improving the visual appearance of the nose to enhance the appearance of one’s face by eliminating defects such as flared nostrils, irregular bumps, distorted septum, etc.
- It can be performed by two methods; as a closed surgery, where the incisions are made inside the nose, or as an open surgery where the columella between the two nostrils is incised.
- The structure of the nose is digitally captured via photographs or scanning devices, and then, either by removing or adding microscopic cartilage tissue grafts, the overall structure of the nose is manipulated.
- This ‘facelift’ treatment is the best way of removing wrinkles, crow’s feet, ageing lines and tightening the facial skin in order to achieve a more youthful look.
- This surgery targets the neck, chin, cheeks and temporal regions of the face. During the procedure, the facial skin flap, which is surgically lifted, is redraped tightly by stretching it on one of the sides.
Hair Removal & Hair Transplant Treatment:
- Laser hair removal is usually performed with a handheld laser beaming instrument which can be freely manoeuvred above the skin. It is mostly performed on the legs, armpits, upper lip, chin and the bikini line regions.
- The laser works by selectively heating the melanin tissues in the hair, which ultimately damages the hair follicles without affecting the adjacent skin tissues.
- Hair Transplant, on the other hand, is performed by extracting tiny hair follicle grafts from the back of the scalp and transplanting them with minute incisions over the scalp surface, which is affected by hair loss.
- This treatment aims at manipulating the chin features to balance the facial contour and appeal. It can be performed with either a prosthetic implant or through manipulation of the chin bone.
Complications That May Arise After Cosmetic Surgery:
- It is essential to verify if the problem you have with your physical defect isn’t a mental issue. Hence, you must undergo proper counselling and discuss the matter with a surgeon to check for signs of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), depression or any other psychological concerns.
- Breast implants have a risk of rupturing and damaging neighbouring organs and hence are suggested to be removed after ten years of the procedure.
- Other general complications associated with multiple cosmetic surgeries include:
- Nerve damage
- Implant failure
- Signs of stroke
A Few Helpful Tips To Consider Before Opting For Cosmetic Surgery:
- Always look for a certified cosmetic surgeon of a reputed clinic or hospital for consulting.
- Always focus on your own priorities and opinion and do not be persuaded by a surgeon’s or friend’s suggestion.
- Thoroughly research all risks and limitations to weigh the pros and cons.
- Do not opt for any surgery when you are going through a metally testing period of your life. Your mind must remain rational at all times.
- Be prepared and accept a change of heart; no one can force you to undergo any cosmetic surgery at any point in time.
You will have to find a good and honest surgeon to understand the necessity of cosmetic surgeries and safeguard your self from unexpected mental and physical damage.
Dr Vishwanath Jigjinni at Deccan Clinic is one such leading Cosmetic Surgeon in Pune who is trained extensively in some of the top centers of Plastic surgery in the UK and USA, securing FRCS degree and years of unparalleled experience. He is greatly trusted by his patients as he guides them and ensures they have safe and uncomplicated cosmetic surgery in Pune.
Deccan Clinic’s Dr Amit Mulay is another leading plastic surgeon in Pune who was bestowed with the Young Investigator Award at the International Society of Burn Injuries (ISBI), Australia. He specializes in reconstructive microsurgery and has been performing highly articulate plastic surgery in Pune for several years now. If you’re seeking help in deciding upon a cosmetic surgery, visit Deccan Clinic, one of the most recommended plastic surgery hospital in Pune or their website to find the most effective solutions to your problems.