Thoracic Surgery Pune
Thoracic cancer refers to any cancer found in organs, glands, or structures of your thoracic cavity, or chest.
The thoracic cancers include:
Thoracic cancer types include all cancers that appear in the chest cavity. Some of these common types
● Non-small cell lung cancer– This is a dominant type of lung cancer identified in most cases.
Around 85% of lung cancers are non-small cell lung cancer.
● Small cell lung cancer– It occurs in 10% to 15% of the cases. This type of cancer spreads rapidly.Though the spread is not good sign, the growth helps in diagnosis.
● Mesothelioma– These are cancers in the lining tissues of the abdominal cavity.
● Other cancers– Such as breast cancer, pancreatic cancers, and cancers that originate from other parts of the body but metastasize into the thoracic cavity.
The symptoms of thoracic cancers depend on the tissues and the organs they affect. The symptoms
often appear late and mostly diagnosed in advanced cases only. Some of the symptoms may include:
Cancers occur due to the cellular damage of DNA. Due to the damage, the cells mutate and start
multiplying explosively. This accumulation of unwanted cells forms malignant tumors. Some biological
factors such as genes, age, and hormones contribute to cell damage causing cancer eventually.
Some of the diagnostic methods that are employed by oncologists in Pune include:
● Bronchoscopy– This procedure helps doctors to see through the lungs and airways and examine
the cavity on suspicion.
● Thoracentesis– A needle is inserted into the chest cavity, and fluid is drawn to examine
potential malignancy or other conditions.
● VATS – A video scope is inserted through a small incision to examine the potential malignancy.
● Thoracotomy– A cancer surgeon makes an incision in the chest to remove the abnormality or
examine the lymph nodes for any abnormalities.
● Thoracoscopy– A thin tube called a thoracoscope is inserted into the chest through the incision
to test tissues and remove them on any suspicion of malignancy.
The treatment for thoracic cancer depends on how far cancer has spread. The oncologist of Deccan
clinic takes the following path to treatment.
● Surgery– In the surgery, the cancer surgeon in Pune removes the cancerous parts/ tissues to
contain the spread.
● Chemotherapy – Here, special drug medication is employed intravenously to kill cancer cells.
● Radiation therapy– High energy rays are pulsed on the cancerous parts to kill cancer cells.
● Targeted Therapy– A special drug is used to target the cancer cells and block the growth and
spread of cancer.