Stomach Cancer: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Stomach cancer first grows in the mucus-producing cells in the inner lining of the stomach. If not diagnosed on time, these cells develop into a tumor (also known as gastric cancer). Knowing the symptoms, causes, and treatment options will help you and your doctor to diagnose it on an early stage, where the chances of complete recovery are maximum.
Stomach cancer is rare when compared to other forms of cancer. Also, the biggest challenge of this disease is the difficulty in diagnosing it on time. Make sure you contact the best Cancer specialist in Pune before going ahead with the treatment procedures.
What Causes Stomach Cancer?
Cancer usually begins when a mutation occurs in the cells of the DNA. The mutation further grows at a rapid rate and continues living until the healthy cells die. The cancer cells can also break through the tumour and spread in the rest of the body parts.
It occurs when the normal and healthy cells grow out of control. The process is slow and often tends to develop over many years. According to the expert Oncologist in Pune, there is a reliable connection between a diet high on smoking and stomach cancer. Some of the other reasons that might trigger stomach cancer are:
- A diet high in salt, tobacco, and pickled food
- Stomach surgery to cure an ulcer
- Genetic factor
- Exposure to coal, metal, timber, and rubber manufacturing sites
- Exposure to asbestos
- A diet low in fresh fruit and vegetable consumption
- Long-term stomach inflammation
What are the Symptoms of Stomach Cancer?
Experts are yet to confirm what makes cancer cells grow inside the stomach. However, there are a few symptoms you can look for to diagnose the risk of cancer. For instance, an infection due to common bacteria, H.Pylori causes ulcers and make the patient more susceptible to get cancer. Some other symptoms of stomach cancer include:
- Bloating after every meal
- Loss of appetite
- Persistent vomiting
- Sudden weight loss
In case you have encountered any of the symptoms mentioned above, immediately visit the best cancer hospital in Pune or book an appointment at Deccan Clinic Pune.
Treatments for Stomach Cancer
There are many treatments available to fight stomach cancer. The doctor determines the type of treatment suitable for the patients. Depending on how much cancer has spread in the body, they proceed with further procedures. The type of approaches taken for each cancer stage is discussed below.
1) Stage 1: At this stage, a tumor has developed inside the stomach, and it might spread into the lymph nodes. Surgery is performed to remove the part or all of the stomach and nearby lymph nodes.
2) Stage 2: At this stage, cancer has spread in the deeper layers of the stomach and possibly into the nearby lymph nodes. Surgery is still the primary treatment to remove the parts or all parts of the stomach. Chemotherapy is suggested before the procedure, and one of them might be recommended after the surgery to achieve optimum results.
3) Stage 3: Cancer might have spread in every layer of the stomach at this stage. The operation is done to remove the entire stomach accompanied by chemotherapy. The treatments often cure cancer. Otherwise, it at least helps with easing the symptoms.
If the patient’s body is too weak for surgery, chemotherapy, or a combination of both get recommended.
4) Stage 4: At this stage, cancer has spread in the entire body, including the liver, lungs, and brain. Curing cancer at this stage is very challenging, but our professional oncologist in Pune helps the patient to manage the symptoms and relieve the pain. In case the tumor blocks the GI system, treatment includes:
- A procedure to remove cancer partially using a laser on an endoscope. It is slid down the throat of the patient.
- A thin metal tube known as a stent is inserted between the patient’s stomach and oesophagus or between the stomach and small intestine.
- Gastric bypass surgery is performed to create a different route around the tumor
- A targeted therapy can also be given to the patient which includes drugs that kills cancer cells and leaves the healthy cells to minimize the side-effects.
How to Prevent Stomach Cancer?
- Exercise daily to prevent stomach cancer. Try to keep your body fit and healthy.
- Engage in physical activity.
- Add more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet each day.
- Give up on highly-salted and smoked food to keep your stomach healthy.
- Quit smoking, tobacco usage, and alcohol. Also, avoid staying in places where people smoke regularly.
- Maintain a regular health checkup once or twice a year to avoid the risk of stomach cancer.
Visit Deccan Clinic to know more about stomach cancer and other types of complex health conditions. Our experts make sure the best treatment is offered to our patients with active recovery. Book your appointment today.