Had a Laparoscopy, and facing issues with sleeping? Here are five useful sleeping tips.
Laparoscopy is a Minimally Invasive Surgery that allows surgeons to look into the body with a camera and operate through tiny incisions. Laparoscopic surgeries are used to treat hernia, endometriosis, hysterectomy, uterus removal, or gall bladder stones.
The procedure requires a smaller incision and recovers faster. But you must follow some diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications for faster recovery. Special care should be taken for sleeping positions because sound sleep accelerates healing and good sleeping posture is necessary to protect the surgical site. You may face the following issues while sleeping after laparoscopic surgery.
- Incision pain
- Pain or discomfort in movement
- Acid reflux
Dr. Shailesh Naik of Deccan Clinic gives five useful tips regarding sleeping positions post laparoscopy. The sleeping positions will depend on the type of surgery you had.
There are three sleeping positions: on the back, sideways, and on the stomach. Stomach position must be avoided until particularly asked by the surgeon.
- If you had uterus removal or thoracic laparoscopy, you would be asked to sleep on your back most of the time. You must place a thin pillow under your knees and one beneath the cervical spine to keep your body aligned while sleeping. This will prevent pressurizing your lower back.
- If you had laparoscopic surgery on one side, you would be asked to sleep on the alternate side or back. You will be asked to place a pillow between legs while sleeping sideways and keep the head, spine, and knees aligned without stressing any part of the body.
- If you shuffle positions while sleeping, then you are advised to move carefully and use a good-quality orthopedic mattress and pillow for sleep.
Apart from the above tips, here are some lifestyle modification tips that will help you rest better and recover faster after having laparoscopic surgery in Pune.
- Hydration– You must drink ample water throughout the day. However, if you had the laparoscopic procedure on your stomach, you will be asked to consume a small amount of liquid many times a day.
- Diet– You must include a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, and antioxidant foods that help to heal the incision faster. You must avoid heavy fat-loaded meals as they lower the digestion metabolism and defer healing.
- Walk – You will be able to walk on the same day of surgery. You will be instructed on how to walk and how much to walk in a day. You can use crutches or walkers to refrain from pressurizing the laparoscopic sites for a week.
Laparoscopic surgery in Pune is thriving because it is a small-scale surgery to open surgery with several benefits. And most importantly, it has lesser risks and greater success rates. Deccan Clinic and team, caring for your best.