Gallbladder Disease – Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
The gallbladder is a small pear-shaped organ located just under the liver. Its primary function is to store the bile (a dark yellow fluid that helps digest fat in your guts) and release it into the small intestine during the digestive process. The bile helps the body to break down fat and eliminate the waste product.
Numerous factors affect your gallbladder, which includes gallstones, gallbladder infection which may be acute or chronic. Here are a few symptoms and causes of gallbladder disease to seek immediate medical attention. For severe symptoms, visit our general surgeon in Pune and get rid of the signs to restore your good health.
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea or Vomiting
Other types of gallbladder diseases such as advanced gallbladder cancer may cause severe symptoms.
Gallstones are the most common cause of gallbladder disease. They occur in a crystal form as a result of too much cholesterol.
Following are the complications that might occur due to gallstones:
- Inflammation in the gallbladder
- Obstruction in the central bile duct
- Infection in the common bile duct
- Gangrene of the gallbladder
- Bowel obstruction from the gallstone
- Gallbladder cancer (Rare)
Other than the complications of gallstones, there are following diseases that might increase the chances of gallbladder disease:
- Biliary Dyskinesia
It is a motility syndrome that occurs as a result of abnormally functioning sphincter of Oddi. The sphincter of Oddi is a muscular valve responsible for controlling the flow of bile and digestive juices from your liver and pancreas to the small intestine.
- Functional Gallbladder Disorder
This condition causes biliary pain in the absence of gallstones or sphincter of Oddi.
- Primary Sclerosis Cholangitis
Primary Sclerosis Cholangitis or PSC is a chronic inflammatory disease of the gallbladder and liver, which causes itching due to bile acid accumulation. In case the bile accumulates in the liver, the liver eventually loses its ability to function normally. Patients in most of the cases might need a liver transplant.
There are a few tests and medical examination necessary to determine the ultimate reason behind developing gallbladder disease. These tests include:
- Medical History: Your expert surgeon will examine your medical reports, family history of conditions, and medicinal intake. Also, he will ask about any symptoms and pain associated with the disease.
- Physical Examination: The doctor will also check your vitals and perform a physical examination to look for any signs that indicate the formation of any gallbladder diseases.
- Labs & Imaging: Your doctor shall recommend you go through a few tests like a blood test and or scans.
The treatment for gallbladder diseases depends on the patient’s type of disease present. The treatment options include:
- Wait and watch
- Surgery to remove the gallbladder
- Medication to break the gallstones
The treatment for any disease related to the biliary duct requires a procedure called an ERCP. During an ERCP, a gastroenterologist uses an endoscope to detect blockages in your biliary ducts. An instrument is inserted through the endoscope to relieve obstructions (for example, by removing a stone or placing a stent).
A patient needs surgery within 48 hours in the following cases:
- The patient is suffering from acute cholecystitis, and the operation does not impose any risk
- The patient is a senior citizen or is suffering from diabetes
- The doctor detects a complication such as an abscess or gangrene
- The person is suffering from cholecystitis and gallstones
- Eat a healthy diet
- get enough exercises
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid rapid weight loss
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables
Note: Although the gallbladder stores bile, it is not an essential organ and shall not affect the patient’s regular life activities.
Look no further than Deccan Clinic to find the best cancer surgeon in Pune. We ensure the patients receive the highest degree of treatment, care, and support to restore their health and routined lifestyle.